The ZZ plant, scientifically known as Zamioculcas zamiifolia, has been a beloved houseplant for many years, adorning homes and offices with its lush, glossy foliage. However, along with its rise in popularity, a concerning rumor began to circulate.
One such study, published in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, found that some common houseplants, including the ZZ plant, could produce volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
These crystals, found in many houseplants, can cause irritation if ingested or come into contact with the skin. However, according to the National Capital Poison Center, there is no evidence to suggest that calcium oxalate is carcinogenic.
Touching a ZZ plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia) is typically safe. However, it contains calcium oxalate crystals that may cause skin irritation, particularly in individuals with sensitive skin.