Snake plants, also known as Sansevieria trifasciata, Mother-in-Law’s Tongue, or Golden Bird’s Nest, are sought-after houseplants due to their hardiness and low maintenance.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty (ASPCA) cites their saponin content, which can induce mild to moderate reactions. Ingesting saponins may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other unpleasant symptoms in pets.
Snake plants, or Sansevieria trifasciata, contain a chemical component called saponins and calcium oxalate crystals. These are found in plant leaves and can be harmful if ingested by dogs or cats.
Toxicity levels of snake plants for dogs are mild to moderate. Though not the most hazardous plant, caution is necessary, as ingesting large amounts can be harmful.