The leaves and stems that are on the pothos plant both contain something called calcium oxalate crystals. If a cat consumes some of the plants these minerals can be dangerous.
The best thing you can do is remove the plant from your home or property entirely. If this isn’t an option, you can try some other methods. Consider moving the plant up high where your cat can’t reach.
The surface of the pothos plant isn’t poisonous to cats, so walking past it, smelling it, or rubbing up against it isn’t going to make much of a difference for your cat.
If your cat hasn’t chewed on the stems or leaves of the pothos plant, they may very well be ok. However, if they’ve started to transfer over to those more poisonous areas, this is when toxicity will occur.